A Visa

If you are traveling to the U.S. on behalf of your government, or you're a foreign government official or diplomat, the A Visa may be for you!

As an A visa holder, you can come to the U.S. with spouses, same-sex partners, and children, as well as their domestic staff members. For instance, if you have a butler or maid, then he or she can also accompany you to the U.S. under the A visa category.

The different types of A visas are as follows:
A-1: Certain diplomats, ambassadors, public ministers, and their immediate family;
A-2: Certain diplomats, government personnel, and their immediate family;
A-3: Domestic Staff of an A1 or A2, and the staff person’s immediate family.

For an A-1 or A-2 visa, you must be traveling to the U.S. on behalf of your government for official activities only. Foreign officials traveling to the U.S. on official business must get an A visa before their entry into the U.S. Foreign officials cannot enter the U.S. on a tourist visa or under the Visa Waiver Program. Qualified A visa applicants traveling to the United States for assignments of less than 90 days will be issued visas designated as temporary duty “TDY.”

What Documentation Do I Need?

The documents required for an A visa are as follows:

  • A diplomatic note: the diplomatic note is a document in writing from the foreign government confirming the applicant’s status.
  • For A-3 applicants, the diplomatic note should confirm the employer’s official status.
  • A valid passport: your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond the time you intend to stay in the U.S.

For more information, click here, or email [email protected]