TN Visa

Are you a Canadian or Mexican citizen? Are you considered a qualified professional? Do you wish to work in the U.S. temporarily?

If you answered “Yes” to the three questions above, the TN visa might be for you! The TN visa category is a special category created under NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement) for qualifying professionals who are nationals of Canada or Mexico, intending to work temporarily in the U.S..

To qualify for a TN visa and be able to work for a U.S.-based employer, a Canadian or Mexican national must possess the necessary credentials to be considered a “qualified professional” under this category. Generally, a bachelor's degree or higher is usually required. Some examples of individuals who are generally considered as qualified professionals are accountants, engineers, lawyers, pharmacists, scientists, and teachers. The full list of occupations that are regarded as “qualified” or skilled professionals is included at the end of this chapter.

Since the nature of the TN visa is temporary, the visa holder must intend to depart the U.S. upon completion of his or her authorized stay. If the TN visa holder attempts to apply for permanent residency while in TN status in the U.S., the individual can be denied a renewal of his TN visa in future.


There are two different types of TN visas:

1) TN-1: For Canadian professionals;

2) TN-2: For Mexican professionals.

Spouses and unmarried children (under 21) of TN visa holders may apply for a TD visa, to accompany their spouse or parent to the U.S. (TD-1 for the family members of a Canadian citizen worker, or TD-2 for those of a Mexican citizen worker).

Read more here, or email [email protected]