Free Initial Personal Consultation.*
Late EVENING & WEEKEND Appointments Available
718-263-5999 718-263-5999

A Visa Diplomats

Are you a foreign government official or a diplomat?

Will you be traveling to the U.S. on behalf of your government?

If you responded “Yes” to the above, then the A visa is likely to be the appropriate one for you! If you are a foreign government official and intend to enter the United States to conduct official business on behalf of your country, then you should consider using the A visa. In this chapter, we’ll give you an easy-to-follow set of instructions for obtaining an A Visa, including what is required of each applicant.

The good news for A visa holders is that they can come to the U.S. with their spouses and children, as well as their domestic staff members. For example, if you have a butler or maid, then he or she can also accompany you to the U.S. under the A visa category.

The different types of A visas are as follows:

  • A-1: Certain diplomats and their immediate family;
  • A-2: Certain diplomatic personnel and their immediate family;
  • A-3: Domestic Staff of an A1 or A2, and the staff person’s immediate family.

For an A-1 or A-2 visa, you must be traveling to the U.S. on behalf of your government for official activities only. Foreign officials traveling to the U.S. on official business, must get an A visa prior to their entry into the U.S. Foreign officials cannot enter the U.S. on a tourist visa or under the Visa Waiver Program. Qualified A visa applicants traveling to the United States for assignments of less than 90 days will be issued visas designated as temporary duty “TDY.”

What documents do I need to show to obtain an A visa?

The documents required for an A visa are as follows:

  • A diplomatic note. The diplomatic note is a document in writing from the foreign government confirming the applicant’s status. For A-3 applicants, the diplomatic note should confirm the employer’s official status.
  • A valid passport. Your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond the time you intend to stay in the U.S.

Is an interview and/or fingerprinting required for an A visa?

Generally, visa applications require an interview of the applicant at the U. S. embassy. However, for diplomats applying for an A-1 or A-2 visa, an interview is not usually required, but can be requested by the consular officer. For A-3 visa applicants (domestic staff members), an interview is required as part of the visa process.

Can my family accompany me to the U.S. on an A visa?

As mentioned earlier, you can bring your immediate family, such as your spouse, unmarried sons and daughters, close relatives who are related to you by blood, marriage or adoption, as long as they live with you and are recognized by your government as your dependents. If you are not married to your partner, even if he or she is your dependent, you cannot apply for him or her as a derivative (i.e., they are ineligible for obtaining an A visa).

Can I bring my personal employees? And what documents do they need?

Personal employees, attendants, domestic workers, or servants of A-1 or A-2 visa holders may be issued an A-3 visa. An interview at the embassy or consulate is required. The A-3 applicant must provide proof that he or she will receive a fair wage from their employer, enough to financially support the domestic worker. The law requires that the wages paid to the domestic worker be similar to wages of American employees performing similar jobs. It is also required that the A-3 applicant show that he or she will be doing the type of work mentioned in his or her employment contract. Applicants for A-3 visas must apply for a visa abroad. The U.S. consular officer will determine if the person is eligible for the A-3 visa.

Please note: If the employer is not a Minister or higher or does not hold a position equivalent to Minister or higher, the employer must demonstrate that he or she has sufficient funds to pay for the A-3 applicant’s fair wages and good working conditions, as reflected in the contract.

What documents are required for the A-3 visa?

The A-3 visa applicant employee must bring their employment contract to the required visa interview. The applicant must also ensure that the applicant and his employer have signed the agreement. In addition, the contract must be in English and the employee should be aware of the terms and conditions in the contract. The contract should also contain language which states that the employee will be paid at the state or federal minimum wage, whichever is greater. The A-3 applicant employee has to affirm that he or she will not accept any other work while they are working for their employer. The employer has to promise that he or she will not hold the employee’s passport after the employee arrives in the United States. Also, the contract should specify that the employer understands that the employee will not be forced to stay on the premises after working hours, unless he will be paid overtime wages. The A-3 applicant employee will also need to bring a photocopy of the diplomatic note confirming their employer’s official status.

How long can I stay in the U.S. on an A visa?

On an A-1 or A-2 visa, you are admitted for “Duration of Status” (D/S), which means you can stay in the U.S. as long as the U.S. Secretary of State continues to recognize the A visa holder as a member of the diplomatic category. You do not need to apply for an extension of stay. But on an A-3 visa, you are generally admitted for a period of 3 years. Thereafter, you can apply for extensions for periods not exceeding 2 years.


If you are a foreign official or diplomat entering the Unites States on official state business, the A Visa may be your best choice. As an A Visa holder, relatives such as your spouse and children, as well as domestic staff members, may be allowed to enter into the U.S. Proof of the official business intended to be performed by the foreign official or diplomat is required for all A visa applicants. Domestic staff members of A-1 or A-2 visa holders must bring specific documents along with them for the visa interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate’s office.

Recent Posts


    • Testimonials

    • ABC News - Trump Modeling

    • Beauty vs Billionaire in Lawsuit Over Trump Modeling

    • Naresh Gehi Immigration Bulletin 3

    • Naresh Gehi Immigration Bulletin 2

    • Naresh Gehi - Immigration - Trump Bulletin 1

    • The Law with Naresh Gehi - Marriage based Immigration

    • The Law with Naresh Gehi - Labor Certification

    • The Law with Naresh Gehi - H-1

    • The Law with Naresh Gehi - Green Card under E-2

    • The Law with Naresh Gehi - E-2

    • The Law with Naresh Gehi - Divorce and Marriage Immigration

    • The Law with Naresh Gehi - EB 5 Visa

    • Immigration Detention or Immigration Jail

    • Sponsoring Your Spouse Who Is Living Abroad For A Green Card

    • Reopening Your Deportation Case: Can Your Old Case Be Reopened?

    • Complicated Issues In Marriage-based Immigration

    • When Should You Go To A Federal Court To Get Your Green Card

    • Criminal Waivers Under Immigration Law

    • Fraud Waivers Under Immigration Law