Free Initial Personal Consultation.*
Late EVENING & WEEKEND Appointments Available
718-263-5999 718-263-5999

The B-1 in lieu of H1-B visa

There are two types of visas issued by the United States: immigrant visas (permanent) and non-immigrant (non-permanent) visas. In the class of non-immigrant visas, the H1-B visa may be an option for some foreigners. Some university educated and skilled professionals in specialized fields may qualify for a Temporary Employment Visa (H-1B) to travel to the U.S. to work in a specialty occupation. The H1-B visa requires a masters or doctorate degree and a job offer in a specialty occupation, and the USCIS places a numerical limit of 65,000 visas per year.

An alternative to the H1-B visa is the B-1 business visitor visa. Under the B-1 visa, a visitor can negotiate and sign contract, purchase supplies or materials, hold business meetings or attend/exhibit at a convention, settle an estate, sit different types of exams and tests held inside the United States, perform certain professional services under certain conditions. A visitor can perform professional services if the visitor is employed by a non-US firm that will pay their salary during the visitor’s stay in the United States. This B-1 in lieu of H1-B visa is usually used by foreign companies who send consultants to the United States on a temporary basis.

Speak to an experienced immigration attorney to determine whether you qualify for the B-1 in lieu of H1-B visa.

Recent Posts


    • Testimonials

    • ABC News - Trump Modeling

    • Beauty vs Billionaire in Lawsuit Over Trump Modeling

    • Naresh Gehi Immigration Bulletin 3

    • Naresh Gehi Immigration Bulletin 2

    • Naresh Gehi - Immigration - Trump Bulletin 1

    • The Law with Naresh Gehi - Marriage based Immigration

    • The Law with Naresh Gehi - Labor Certification

    • The Law with Naresh Gehi - H-1

    • The Law with Naresh Gehi - Green Card under E-2

    • The Law with Naresh Gehi - E-2

    • The Law with Naresh Gehi - Divorce and Marriage Immigration

    • The Law with Naresh Gehi - EB 5 Visa

    • Immigration Detention or Immigration Jail

    • Sponsoring Your Spouse Who Is Living Abroad For A Green Card

    • Reopening Your Deportation Case: Can Your Old Case Be Reopened?

    • Complicated Issues In Marriage-based Immigration

    • When Should You Go To A Federal Court To Get Your Green Card

    • Criminal Waivers Under Immigration Law

    • Fraud Waivers Under Immigration Law