Free Initial Personal Consultation.*
Late EVENING & WEEKEND Appointments Available
718-263-5999 718-263-5999

H-3 Trainee Visa

(H3 visa) Would you like to train in the United States in your particular field?

Is this training unavailable in your country?

Do you have less than, or are you currently working on a bachelor’s (baccalaureate) degree?

If you answered “Yes” to the three questions above, you may be able to apply for an H-3 visa! The primary purpose of the H-3 visa is to allow non-immigrants to receive job-related instruction and training with a U.S. company, which would not otherwise be available in their home country. One of the main H-3 visa restrictions is that the training will benefit the applicant in obtaining employment in the applicant’s home country. Fields in which training can be approved include, but are not limited to, the following: Agriculture, Communications, Technology, Commerce, Finance, Government and Transportation.

The H-3 visa is also available for those who intend to experience and learn more about teaching children with physical, mental or emotional disabilities. This is called the ”Special Education” H-3 classification, which has certain additional requirements.

Please note: The H-3 visa is only for those without a graduate degree and cannot be used for medical training. If you are looking for graduate education or training, a J-1 or F-1 visa may be a possibility.

What are the requirements for an H3 visa?

A U.S. employer or organization must:

  1. Provide a description of the structured training program you will pursue, including the hours of classroom training, as well as on-the-job training;
  2. Show the background of your previous training and experience;
  3. Show reasons for the need of training in that field in your country;
  4. Explain why you cannot get such training in your home country;
  5. Provide proof that the training will benefit your career in your home country;
  6. Explain how your employer or organization will pay for the cost of training you without your actually working for them.

What are the other qualifications required for a “Special Education” H-3 classification?

In addition to the above, the U.S. employer or organization must also submit:

  1. A description of the staff and facilities where you will be trained and details of your participation in the training;
  2. Also, as an applicant, you must have or almost be done with your bachelor’s degree program in special education, or show that you have experience in teaching children with physical, mental or emotional disabilities.

How long can I stay in the U.S. on an H-3 visa?

You may stay for up to two years for your training. The period of stay is 18 months for special education applicants who apply for an H-3 visa.

Can my family come along with me?

Yes. H-3 visa holders can bring their spouses and children. However, they cannot work in the U.S.


The H-3 visa provides an excellent opportunity for foreign nationals who wish to come to the United States to train and return to their home country and implement their skills. For example, if you own a printing company and are interested in learning new technology from a U.S.-based printing company, you should consider this option. In summary, the H-3 visa is perfect for learning skills and implementing them in your business or trade in your home country.

Recent Posts


    • Testimonials

    • ABC News - Trump Modeling

    • Beauty vs Billionaire in Lawsuit Over Trump Modeling

    • Naresh Gehi Immigration Bulletin 3

    • Naresh Gehi Immigration Bulletin 2

    • Naresh Gehi - Immigration - Trump Bulletin 1

    • The Law with Naresh Gehi - Marriage based Immigration

    • The Law with Naresh Gehi - Labor Certification

    • The Law with Naresh Gehi - H-1

    • The Law with Naresh Gehi - Green Card under E-2

    • The Law with Naresh Gehi - E-2

    • The Law with Naresh Gehi - Divorce and Marriage Immigration

    • The Law with Naresh Gehi - EB 5 Visa

    • Immigration Detention or Immigration Jail

    • Sponsoring Your Spouse Who Is Living Abroad For A Green Card

    • Reopening Your Deportation Case: Can Your Old Case Be Reopened?

    • Complicated Issues In Marriage-based Immigration

    • When Should You Go To A Federal Court To Get Your Green Card

    • Criminal Waivers Under Immigration Law

    • Fraud Waivers Under Immigration Law